Job Location CA-AB-Edmonton
Job ID 2020-2749
# Positions 1
Job Type Permanent
Job Industry Education
Career Level Management
Years of Experience 7
PROJECT MANAGEMENT OFFICE, TECHNOLOGY AND CREATIVE SERVICES
NorQuest College is looking for an experienced Program Manager to oversee multi-year strategic and innovative programs, and formulate, organize and monitor supporting projects. The Program Manager manages key projects, and provides support to assigned project managers, to ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, meet quality expectations, and are aligned with program outcomes.
The program manager works collaboratively with business unit and faculty leaders to facilitate the design and ongoing management of their assigned program, and to facilitate success of assigned projects. The program manager uses strong consultation skills to understand needs, and uses verbal and written communication skills to influence decision-makers and project teams to achieve project and program success.
As this is an evolving role in a small project management office, initially, most time will be spent managing key projects, and less time will be spent managing the overall program. We anticipate that the program manager will contribute significantly to evolving the role over time.
The ideal candidate is an excellent leader and with experience in coordinating diverse teams to produce outstanding results, and demonstrates adaptability, excellent communication skills, strong relationship management skills, and a relentless drive for successful execution of projects.
- Provides oversight and coordination for programs of related projects, identifying interdependencies, risks, and ways to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Reports on program and associated project performance.
- Provides recommendations to key program and project stakeholders to resolve issues, improve execution, and improve outcomes.
- Collaborates with stakeholders across the college to prepare project proposals and business cases, including the desired outcomes to be achieved, critical business requirements, potential approaches, budgetary estimates, and strategic alignment.
- Fully responsible for definition, approach, facilitation and satisfactory completion of projects. Provides effective leadership to the project team, taking appropriate action where team or project performance deviates from agreed expectations.
- Reviews business cases to determine appropriate procurement routes. Ensures procurement documents are accurate and comprehensive. Evaluates tenders based on specification and evaluation criteria, prepares acceptance documentation and advises on contracts and service level agreements.
- Monitors and reports on supplier performance, and customer satisfaction, ensuring that vendor performance complies with contract terms. Engages with suppliers to resolve incidents, problems, or performance issues.
- Investigates operational requirements, problems, and opportunities, seeking effective business solutions through improvements in automated and non-automated components of new or changed processes, working collaboratively to identify potential benefits and available options for consideration, and in defining acceptance tests.
- Contributes to selection of the requirements approach for projects, selecting appropriately from predictive (plan-driven) approaches or adaptive (iterative/agile) approaches. Manages scoping, requirements definition and prioritization activities for initiatives.
- Working in collaboration with stakeholders, recommends, tailors and implements business process improvement methods and tools at the project and team level, contributing to definition of policies, standards, and guidelines for business process improvement.
- Promotes collaboration and sharing of ideas and knowledge among internal teams and external partners.
- Provides advice, guidance and expertise to promote adoption of methods and tools and adherence to policies and standards. Manages reviews of the benefits and value of methods and tools, and recommends improvements.
- Creates change management plans, considering IT, data migration, training and engagement activities, and any business activities required to integrate new processes or jobs into the "business as usual" environment.
- Related university degree
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in a project manager role, focusing on strategy, analysis, reengineering and business change initiatives.
- Candidates with experience with HR transformation or Lean business process improvement projects are preferred.
- PMP (Project Management Professional) designation through the Project Management Institute, or equivalent, considered an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Mastery of MS Office Suite - including Project and Visio, Adobe products, and other project management software
- Demonstrated negotiation and communication skills to effectively present and clarify requirements, expectations, ideas and concepts to various audiences/stakeholders; strong ability to clearly express ideas in an organized and structured format, that meets the needs of targeted audiences
- Demonstrated experience in working with different levels of leadership to engage and influence positive outcomes
- Demonstrated training and application in business process management, organizational change management, process improvement, and/or business analysis methodology, desirable
SALARY: $84,748- $105,965 per annum commensurate with education and experience. This position also includes immediate participation in our comprehensive pension and benefits plan.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 2020-2749
CLOSING DATE: Open until suitable candidate found.
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply, please continue with this online process by uploading your resume and cover letter combined as one document. HERE
NOTE: Notification of receipt will be sent only to online applicants.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance.
NorQuest College is committed to being an employer of choice for First Nations, Metis and Inuit people in Canada by leading, supporting, and being an ally to Indigenous people through the institution’s work toward decolonization, reconciliation, and Indigenization. We encourage applications from First Nation, Metis, and Inuit peoples to support the College in its efforts to work towards these goals and to build a better future for Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. NorQuest College is committed to recruiting and retaining Indigenous people to ensure we are leading, supporting, and moving forward in a good way.
This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.