You’re no ordinary chef, and that’s why you want to work somewhere extraordinary.
You’re a passionate culinary professional and food fanatic, excited by the idea of local and authentic, from-scratch, farm-to-fork menus. You’re looking for a leadership role in which you’ll get to be innovative and creative, and use your skills and experience every day to make culinary magic happen.
If you have a passion for hospitality, and an interest in working in a modern pub with local flare dedicated to regional food and drink, look no further.
We’re Barney’s Pub & Grill (http://barneyspubleduc.com/), and we’re excited for you to join us as our new Sous Chef.
Who are we? Barney’s Pub offers a unique dining experience and Canada’s 1st Pour Your Own Beer wall featuring exceptional Alberta Craft Beers in the heart of Leduc. In our friendly and energetic atmosphere, our local and international guests enjoy authentic and fresh regional cuisine with modern culinary twists. Our relationships with local farmers and suppliers allow us to deliver a one-of-a-kind dining experience.
We now have an exciting leadership opportunity available, and are looking for our newest Sous Chef.
As our new Sous Chef your main goal is to manage and lead our kitchen team in all aspects of our daily restaurant and banquet service. Ours is a high-volume, casual dining environment, which will require excellent time management and organizational skills.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
• Overseeing day-to-day kitchen operations for lunch and dinner service as well as banquet events
• Overseeing daily food production and quality control
• Providing hands-on support to the line
• Supporting our corporate chef in creating and executing creative new menus as well as menus for special events
• Developing the kitchen team through hiring, training, coaching, and mentorship
• Scheduling labour
• Purchasing of ingredients and food inventory management/control
• Ensuring adherence to all sanitation and health and safety standards
Along with being rock star line cook, your biggest strengths include your ability to communicate clearly, problem solve quickly, and stay cool and collected in high stress situations.
Your leadership skills will allow you to build strong, loyal teams. Under your lead, we’ll be confident that our culinary operations will be executed flawlessly, and that our guests will continue to enjoy the high standard of service and food that we’re known for. With you as a leader and motivator on our team, there’s no doubt we’ll succeed
Working at Barney’s Pub & Grill / Best Western Plus Edmonton Airport Hotel:
If you asked our staff why they love working here, they’d tell you that it all comes down to the people and the fun and friendly atmosphere. Our management team is approachable, and encourages employees to bring their ideas to the table. We’re committed to education and will provide ongoing training on the local food, beverages, and craft beer we serve.
We have a serious passion for hospitality, and if you do too, you’ll fit right in.
Here’s what you can expect:
• Full-time, permanent position working 5 days per week, 11 am – 8 pm, with flexibility required for coverage and holidays as needed
• Competitive salary between $44,000 - $50,000 / year + eligible for tip-outs and gratuities
• Access to a benefits package and group RRSP plan
• Complementary meals and employee discount rates for Best Westerns in North America
• Complimentary access to the fitness center Our pub is located on-site of the Best Western Plus (Edmonton Airport), and offers seating for 200+, a beautiful patio, and décor defined by rich finishes, stained glass, and a beautiful island bar.
• 5+ years kitchen experience, with 2+ more years in a leadership role (i.e. working as a sous chef or chef)
• Experience working in a casual dining, high volume environment
• Strong culinary knowledge with excellent knowledge of and experience with all aspects of kitchen operations
• Experience with kitchen inventory management and labour scheduling
• Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Google Suite (Sheets, Documents, Drive)
• Red Seal certification in culinary arts is an asset, but not required
• First Aid certification or Food Safety certification an asset, but not required
How to Apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us with the “Help” button in the application.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you