Manager of Facilities (Full-time/Permanent)
Manager of Facilities (Full-time/Permanent)
Job ID CS-21-05
Salary $85,130.06 to $104,699.24 Annually
Open Until Filled
Are you the type of person that likes to ensure things are running smoothly? Do you enjoy explaining and helping people learn new things? Do you want to be hands on creating a great future for the City’s facilities? If so, we’d like to introduce you to our Manager of Facilities position opening!
Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services, this position is responsible to manage and coordinate the maintenance of all City-owned and leased buildings—including property, building and security systems. This position includes the supervision of the Facility Team Leader and Inventory Controller and liaises with the Recreation Operations Supervisor to ensure that all City facilities are maintained pro-actively.
You are the ideal candidate if…
- You are proactive, and a future thinker that has a high level of motivation.
- You value a safe environment and will practice and enforce all City of Wetaskiwin health and safety policies and procedures.
- You are mechanically inclined and enjoy the physical aspects of work.
- You have good tolerance to stress/pressure.
- You show good judgement in difficult situations.
- You can provide technical direction and promote excellence to internal and external customers.
- You like to lead by example.
- Develop and monitor long-term strategic initiatives, priorities, goals, work plans, objectives, and budget—that impacts City facilities—which will align the Division’s work with corporate business' purpose and strategies.
- Actively and effectively promote team process and facilitate the successful resolution of issues and problems within the Division and between Divisions. This involves constructive conflict resolution, genuine respect for and by the team members, which are key to the group's and organization's success.
- Foster the learning and development of the facility staff to meet corporate strategic needs. This includes creating long-term plans for the development of others to meet corporate strategic human resource needs.
- Motivate, lead, coach, mentor, recognize and reward department staff.
- Day-to-day operations and maintenance of all City facilities including air conditioning, electrical, water, sewer; regular maintenance, office renovations, office moves, in-house janitorial tasks, facility system upgrades; routine inspection and review of the operation of building systems; provide input to the General Manager of Corporate Services regarding lifecycle management; respond to building maintenance requests.
- Oversee the planning, development, and implementation of the City’s inventory program for the City. This includes the development and implementation of directives and procedures regarding the purchase, itemization, requisition, care, and replacement of City inventory. City inventory includes material, equipment, parts, PPE, and general supplies in support of the City’s operations and development.
- Ensure a high level of custodial service is maintained, and conduct regular inspections of all City-owned facilities.
- Ongoing networking with comparator municipalities to identify best practices.
- Develop contracts for and manage contract personnel to implement ongoing preventative maintenance programs for City-owned and leased facilities. Oversee contracts for janitorial and general site maintenance issues.
- Oversee the preparation of plans, specifications, and cost estimates for assigned projects; negotiate and assist with the preparation of contracts with outside consultants and contractors; review plans, specifications, and maintenance manuals.
- Prepare and present long-range plans and forecasts for space, operational, maintenance and equipment requirements; assist in the preparation, coordination, and control of the capital budget for facilities maintenance programs.
- Participate in the assessment of the current and future needs of the Facilities team, exploring partnership and funding opportunities, cost, and operating efficiencies; assist with the annual budget process as required.
- Conduct a variety of studies and investigations, recommendations and/or modifications to facilities programs, directives, and procedures as appropriate.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings or conferences; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of facilities maintenance, and incorporate new developments as appropriate.
- Monitor the work and behavior of the department so there is consistent improvement in its ability to serve customers. Must effectively deal with staff discipline and reorganize work and reporting relationships within the department.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate instruction and/or training to carry out their work in a safe and productive manner. Develop and monitor the site-specific safety processes and procedures to ensure compliance from staff and contractors.
- Ensure a safe and healthy work environment for staff, visitors, the community and stakeholders. Participate in workplace safety initiatives, participate in formal and informal worksite safety and environment inspections and audits, ensure compliance with the City’s Health and Safety Management System, report and assist in the analysis of near misses or incidents.
- Compile and maintain appropriate building equipment servicing records.
- Ensure appropriate loss control procedures are in place and monitored.
- Approve expenditures within approved limits and established guidelines.
Education and Work Experience
- Recent College or University graduate completion of a Business Administration Management diploma or equivalent.
- 5 years of related and progressive experience including 2 years of supervisory experience, preferably in a municipality.
- Class 5 Driver’s License required.
- Certificates in arena operations, pool operations, building maintenance and power engineering are considered an asset.
- Technical training in “Building Maintenance” is preferred.
- Good working background in carpentry, mechanical, electrical, and masonry.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and strong customer service with members of the leadership management team, private and public officials, subordinates, and the general public.
- Proven ability as a strategic thinker and planner.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and to make decisions.
- Proven track record for designing programs and follow through implementation.
- Proven strategic planning skills (big picture thinking).
- Solid leadership and managerial skills to build high performance teams.
- Proven supervisory skills, ability to motivate and mentor staff, and performance management skills.
- Proven negotiation, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- Proven ability to utilize process and procedure management processes for efficiency purposes.
- Ability to use research and reporting techniques and concepts.
- Advanced interpersonal communication and excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Excel, Word, and Project Management).
- Knowledge of developing a budget and monitoring expenditures to ensure compliance to the budget.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise a relevant project ensuring completion in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong knowledge of the City’s OH&S guidelines.
- Analytical and creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written; maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff and other stakeholders.
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated; ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond to action requests in a timely manner.
Working Conditions (Physical & cognitive demands & Environment)
- Physical abilities: sitting for long periods of time, regularly performing a variety of manual tasks requiring physical ability and dexterity.
- Physical environment: may require some outdoor work; moderate odours, dust or fumes may cause discomfort/irritation to eyes or respiratory passages; exposure to both hot and cold temperatures; loud noises from equipment/machines.
Send your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*This job posting will remain open until filled.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement will be utilized for this Employment Opportunity only and is subject to compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Applicants are thanked in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.