Manager, Technology Infrastructure
- Close Date: April 14, 2021
- Positions Available: 1
- Relevant Work Experience: 5+ Years
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
- Job Status: Full Time
Edmonton International Airport is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Region. EIA is Canada’s fastest-growing major airport over the past 10 years, the fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA offers non-stop connections to 60 destinations across Canada, the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. At EIA you become part of a tightly knit team, working in a supportive environment, dedicated to fulfilling our vision of more flights to more places.
Need to Know
At Edmonton International Airport, we offer challenging, rewarding opportunities that allow employees to thrive in what they do. Our work culture is known for being open, collaborative, and inclusive. We recognize that great work gets accomplished when spontaneous fun is involved, and we make an effort to celebrate successes and milestones whenever we can. We are also big believers in the power of setting professional goals and encourage employees to do so on a regular basis. We always want to know how we can support our most valuable stakeholder and enhance the partnership that exists between managers and their employees.
We look for positive, energetic people to fill vacancies on our team who are not afraid to take on inevitable challenges. We also look for diversity among our applicants, including in backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ways of working together. It is this diverse community of people that allow us to shine and make better decisions that support our business plans.
You should also know that one of our core values is “invested in our talent”. We consider professional development, specialty training and career growth among our top priorities. To learn more about us, visit our website.
If this sounds like somewhere you would like to work, see below for our latest hiring opportunity.
Is This Role for You?
A career making opportunity exists for a skilled Manager, Technology Infrastructure who is a looking to be part of the infrastructure transformation at Edmonton Airports. We are looking for a proven problem solver who can present ideas in business and user-friendly language. If you are a strong communicator, have keen attention to detail and passionate about working in a dynamic, collaborative, and fast-paced environment, keep reading about this exciting opportunity!
This role is integral to streamlining the operations of the Technology & Innovation strategic business unit to create alignment with the business objectives of the organization. This individual will plan, coordinate, direct, and design technology-related services for the organization, as well as provide direction and support for daily operational activities of the group. The Manager, Technology Infrastructure will work closely with decision makers in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. This person will also define and implement policies, procedures, and best practices.
Successful candidates will oversee and manage staff for the day to day operations, including fully understanding the requirements of the daily obstacles and using strong leadership skills to help the department move through the annual cycles and assist with any requirements necessary to succeed.
Day in The Life
You might be wondering what you can expect in a typical day at work. Every day will bring new opportunities, focusing on key responsibilities, including:
Strategy & Planning
• Lead technology SBU operational plans including Lifecyle programs. Oversee the roadmap to renew, replace and migrate our core infrastructure and enterprise systems to the cloud and will work with internal staff, external partners, and our internal clients on planning, organizing, and executing on these plans,
• Perform overall contract oversight for performance management, which includes benchmarking, and SLA and operational-level agreement (OLA) tracking.
• Demonstrate a clear line of sight from business objectives to vendor performance management metrics when creating reports.
• Work with stakeholders to implement a world class infrastructure delivery model
• Review vendor performance with executives, key stakeholders, and vendors, and define and implement a performance improvement plan.
• Conduct oversight of special projects delivered by external service providers
• Work with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
• Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
• Ensure the efficient utilization of IT resources – including personnel and equipment – across the organization.
• Oversee documentation related to network and systems operations.
• Develop maintenance schedules for network and systems equipment refreshes.
• Develop and implement all functional policies and procedures, including those for network architecture, standards, purchasing, and service provision
• Develop pragmatic processes, standards (SOPS) and documentation
• Conduct quality assurance on managed service partner deliverables using a risk-based approach
Acquisition & Deployment
• Manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of IT systems, including networks, data centers, servers, PCs, operating systems, and associated hardware.
• Analyze existing operations and make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the network infrastructure and IT systems.
• Conduct research and remain current with the latest technologies and solutions in support of procurement efforts.
• Develop and implement technology policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, cloud foundations and provisioning, and service provision.
• Develop requests for proposal and participate in selection of external services and products.
• Negotiate and administer vendor managed services, and consultant contracts and service agreements
• Manage operations staffing, including recruitment, supervision, development, and annual performance reviews
• Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent IT activities, service interruptions and maintenance activities.
• Practice technology asset management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation
• Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all infrastructure systems, including LANs, WANs, Internet, intranet, security, wireless implementations, and so on.
• Provide support for broadband strategy and implementation activities
• Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions.
• Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with owners and stakeholders.
Education and Training
• A bachelor's degree computer science or related discipline
• ITIL and/or COBIT certifications will be considerate an asset
• Project and program management experience with complex multiyear initiatives
Experience and Skills
• 10+ years in IT service delivery in a complex 24/7 environment
• Strong leadership skills.
• Excellent customer service, written and verbal communication skills
• Progressive experience in leading a complex technology operations and infrastructure environment.
• Project management, IT service management, vendor relationship management and/or prior vendor performance management background.
• Proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development.
• Strong work ethic and a proven track record of personal accountability and a sense of ownership.
• A passion for providing outstanding customer service and technology
• Strong organizational and management skills.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Experience in Airports, Airlines, Utilities preferred.
• Positive outlook with excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong ability to manage multiple activities across domains (projects, operations, compliance).
• Proven track record of delivering infrastructure efficiencies, cost savings and tangible outcomes