Seasonal Summer Event & Education Programmer
Seasonal Summer Event & Education Programmer
Devon, AB, CA
Requisition ID: 1015
The Summer Event Programmer is responsible for planning, organizing and implementing the Summer Shack program and assisting with recreation promotions.
The Summer Shack is a drop-in recreation program offered twice a week starting in June and running until August that provides opportunities for children (under the supervision of their parents) to participate in free programming with games and crafts, facilitated by the Town of Devon. Programming may be offered virtually in the form of activity kits delivered to residents and video recordings.
Additionally, this position will be responsible to attend and help execute a portion of Town of Devon community events, assist with coordinating the youth volunteer program, as well as provide support to summer day camps as needed.
Plan, organize, and implement Summer Shack programs and activity kits
- Plan activities and prepare supplies so that the program is organized and ready to be implemented twice a week during July to August
- Implement in-person or virtual programs, including potential for video recordings
- Purchase all supplies needed to run programs
- Ensure participants’ safety and manage any behaviour issues that may arise with participants while running in-person programs, as applicable
- Interact with parents/guardians to encourage them to engage with children
- Maintain a welcoming, friendly, and professional demeanor and appearance while representing the Town of Devon
- Post weekly content on Instagram, including posts and stories.
- Work with the Community Services department to prepare content for the Town of Devon’s Instagram page, and content to be shared on Facebook
- Plan engaging posts for social media, including but not limited to craft and education videos
- Create Instagram campaigns in line with community programs and events
- Work with the schools to promote recreation programs, as applicable, including school presentations with the Day Camp Coordinator
- Assist with Leaders in Training program to recruit volunteers
- Schedule & coordinate volunteers to assist with Summer Shacks and watershed programs
- Assist Day Camp Coordinator in evaluating volunteers throughout and at the end of the summer
- Assist with planning a volunteer recognition activity at the end of the summer
- Identify potential safety concerns prior to and during program delivery
- Implement safe work procedures
- Complete proper safety documentation when required (e.g., incident forms)
- Ensure first aid kit is stocked with appropriate and current items.
- Ensure both staff and participants’ safety while executing programs
- Follow all current Government of Alberta COVID-19 protocols
- Attend community events pending COVID-19 restrictions, including but not limited to Community Cleanup Week (May 1), Devon Days Kick Off BBQ and Seniors Week Celebration (June 12), Out By the River (June 6), Canada Day (July 1), and Movie in the Park (August 20).
- Plan, organize and execute an element of each event
- Evaluate all summer programs identifying areas of success and areas for improvement
- Make recommendations for the following year
- Help Day Camp Coordinator and Leader during popular camp weeks when programs fill beyond capacity or fill in for staff sick days.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Completion or enrollment in post-secondary education in an applicable degree program (i.e. Education, Recreation, Early Childhood, Science)
- Standard First Aid, and CPR level C or ABC
- At least 2 years of experience working with children and developing children’s programming is considered an asset for this position
- Demonstrated experience in program development, communication and problem-solving skills
- Time management and priority setting skills
- Ability to take initiative for ongoing projects and new project s related to summer programs
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment
- Training in High Five Principles of Healthy Child Development and The Virtues Project will be seen as an asset
- Satisfactory Criminal Reference and Vulnerable Persons Check must be provided prior to starting.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License and provide a drivers abstract on request
Start Date: May 3, 2021
End Date: August 27, 2021
Hours of work: Typical hours for this position will be between 8:30am-4:30pm, with some evening or weekend shifts for Town of Devon events. The position requires a flexible schedule to accommodate a work week of up to 30 hours per week. Hours are subject to change due to COVID-19 regulations.
Salary range: $ 18.41 – $ 20.45 (hourly)
Position Closes: Feb. 26, 2021